Wednesday 2 July 2014

Photography, Cameras, Apps, and Photo Challenges.


Photography is something that I’ve enjoyed for many years, but have never really put my all into it.  I’ve always had a “good” camera and have wanted to take a photography class for a long time, but have never gotten around to it.  I don’t know why... maybe time or not really knowing where to go for it.  Maybe someday. <sigh>  Until then, I will learn little bits at a time.

My current “good camera” is my Nikon 3100. I love it. I feel like anyone could take a nice picture with it – a great camera for beginners or want-to-be-photographers. Best part? I can set it to “Guide,” and it will walk me through different settings, teaching me what to do along the way. It makes experimenting a lot easier, and my experiments are more likely to turn out. I’ve taken some beautiful shots and love the quality of the pictures.  It’s definitely my preferred “picture taking tool.” The only downfall is that it’s bulky. 

I also take a lot of pictures with my iPhone.  Like, A LOT. (It’s almost a joke. It’s getting to the point that my son poses whenever anyone pulls out their cellphone. He’s only 8 months old! I need help. Seriously.) The downside is that the photos aren’t the same quality as my camera, but they are a lot better than camera phones used to be. The benefit is that my phone is usually with me or within an arm’s reach, so it’s handy.  I am able to get unexpected pictures when my camera is still in its case or sitting at home.  I find that I can capture some really great “moments” because it’s always closeby.  If my better camera isn’t already out, it sometimes feels artificial when I run to get it, take it out of its case, and get it ready.  My iPhone may not take the best quality pictures, but sometimes they can capture moments that I wouldn’t be able to capture otherwise. 

There is an added bonus to taking photos on my iPhone – the photo editing apps. They’re fun. I know some people don’t like edited photos, and I can be one of those people sometimes, but I think it’s fun to play with pictures.  Sometimes you can take a picture that looks like garbage and turn it into something neat. My favourite photo editing app right now is Aviary.  It was a bit of a random find, but I really like it. It’s easy to use, and you don’t have to post your pictures online when you’re done, although you can post to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or send it out via email or text, which is a nice feature.

Speaking of which, I’m also a fan of Instagram and have been posting more pictures there, although they are very random.  I like the sharing aspect, and like seeing what other people post. I’ve been amazed with people who have started and managed to follow through with photo a day challenges, like #100DaysOfHappy. Posting a photo every day is certainly a challenge, and I don’t know how people do it for 100 days! That’s a lot of days. I’m also fascinated by what people post. I love seeing what makes them happy or what they’ve deemed important. So, I decided that I’d try a (shorter) photo challenge.  YummyMummyClub.ca hosts a photo a day challenge each month.  This month, it’s the #BlissPhotoADay Challenge(If you want to know more, check it out here: http://www.yummymummyclub.ca/blogs/melissa-gaston-find-the-light/20140623/blissphotoaday-challenge-july-2014) I’ve decided I’m going to take a shot.  I’m already off to a bad start, because I started a day late, but I’m going to give it a go.  I’ll post the pictures to Instagram and some will probably make their way over to twitter or my personal facebook page. 

Here’s a peek:



Today’s picture had to fall under the theme of shoes. It was easy. I looked down and saw my very-worn, very-comfy Birkenstocks on my feet. I wear these for most of the day. Currently, they help with my plantar fasciitis, but they have been with me for a few years and have seen a lot. There are some teeth marks on the leather and some flaking cork because these were my dog’s shoes of choice to use as a chew toy. I always know that summer is on its way when I can start wearing them, and am sad to see the fall ending when I have to tuck them away in the closet.  They were the only shoes I could wear from the middle of June last year, when I was 5 months pregnant, and the heat started to rise, and they saw me through the final months of my pregnancy and for an entire month after my son was born, when no other shoes would fit.  They really do hold a special place in my heart.   

Follow me on Instagram and make sure I stick to it! http://instagram.com/TIFFS2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment below! I'd love to hear from you!

Blueberry Pie and A Beautiful Drive!

Yesterday, I went for a drive all by myself. I feel like this shouldn't be news, but usually I have C in tow, and although he makes road...