After meeting with a dietician, I realized how out of control the meat servings I've been eating have gotten. Did you know that one serving of meat is about 100g, raw. I guess a hunk of meat, like a steak or chop wouldn't be too bad at 100g, but ground beef is pretty small when you're looking at 100g. I thought that this was a great resource, so I tried it out this week.
One of our favourite meals is tacos. I often make my tacos into a taco salad. It's easy to over do it on taco shells or wraps and meat, so when I saw the recipe for a taco salad, I knew I should try it.
You can find the recipe here: http://www.blendandextend.ca/portfolio/taco-salad/
I had to make some changes to the recipe, because I didn't prepare nearly enough before getting groceries. Luckily, all worked out, but it could have been a complete kitchen disaster.
- I used Mini-Bella mushrooms, they worked great
- I didn't have a red pepper, so I omitted, but next time I'll make sure I have one (or a mix of green, red and orange)
- I didn't have Tex-Mex seasoning, but I did have a packet of taco seasoning, so I used that. I ended up needing a lot, so I think I'll try the actual seasoning next time.
- The recipe calls for one can of diced tomatoes. In my mind, a can is a 28oz can. Not right. This recipe requires a 14oz can. Sadly, I only realized it after I poured the entire can into the pan, so I had to carefully pick out half a can worth of tomatoes. I didn't quite get enough out, and hopefully I won't make that mistake again. Thank goodness I realized, because it would have been gross.
- I also didn't have an avocado. I usually do, but they weren't ripe at all this week, so I didn't buy any this week. I did, however have some all natural guacamole, so I used a little dollop of that.
- Also, no sour cream. (Seriously, what DID I buy for groceries???) Luckily, I use greek yogurt in exchange for sour cream all the time, so that's what I did.
- I also added spinach to the lettuce.
There was a lot of food on that plate. It doesn't look like it, but it was a big plate with a sky-high salad. Lots of green veggies. It was delicious and even got the husband stamp of approval. That's a tough one when lots of vegetables are involved.
This is definitely a make again meal. Hmmm, what other recipes can I blend and extend?